The President & General Manager is a new and additional role within the organization serving to provide strategic and commercial leadership to the existing team. This role is responsible for developing and executing the broad long-term commercial strategy of the business while overseeing the day-to-day operations of the entire Castle Rebar & Supply organization. Specifically, this person is to drive meaningful growth in revenue while increasing profit margins though operational efficiencies and astute P&L management. The ideal President will be capable in operational, financial, commercial, administrative, and personnel functions while being driven to grow professionally across all skills.
The President must be capable of supporting each role within the organization. From assisting with the design and estimation of rebar utilization in large projects to overseeing retail sales operations and rebar fabrication, this leader ensures each team member has the tools and support necessary to be successful while driving continuous improvement in all facets of the business. This person will lead from the frontline while ensuring the successful execution of strategic initiatives and priorities.
This role will serve to supplement and amplify the capabilities of existing long-tenured employees and deliver meaningful organizational refinement to ensure all talent is recognized, appreciated, and celebrated.
- Lead by example with a Safety First mindset in every task
- Execute effective leadership of the organization to enable performance at or above the standards required by leadership and shareholders by setting clear performance objectives and holding individuals and teams to account
- Identify, pro-actively manage behaviors related to, and track fundamental KPIs related to the company’s success
- Develop, lead, and implement the complex business strategies required to achieve the operational, financial, and cultural objectives of the business
- Undertake a detailed review of production and operations and deliver materially meaningful improvements in all facets of estimation, fabrication, sales, and support while recognizing and adhering to the highest of health, safety, and environmental standards
- Analyze general operational performance and ensure practices are improved and/or implemented to achieve short- and long-term goals
- See that all products and services sold to customers are of high quality in accordance with the company’s quality standards and the market’s expectations
- Promote exceptional customer service delivery at all levels and for all partners
- Understand what actions and factors impact the company’s P&L and promote a collective responsibility for improving bottom line performance through financial acumen
- Effect financial outcomes, as or better than forecasted, as defined by annual budgets and the company’s rolling five-year strategy
- Ensure, through robust marketing research and customer engagement, the company’s mission is aligned with the needs and demands of the market
- Participate with the sales team in negotiations of new customers and development of key accounts
- Bring new and innovative ideas to the business, look for opportunities to expand the business, and create goodwill in the marketplace
- Lead the implementation of business improvements and other organizational initiatives and effectively manage resistance to change where it arises
- Collaborate with and support portfolio leadership, including company presidents, in championing and executing on portfolio-wide strategic initiatives and in realizing opportunities related to economies of scale and cross-company synergies
- Serve as an ideal leader by modeling good behavior, fostering culture of excellence, collaboration, & integrity, and establishing an environment of inclusion and accountability
- Promote talent development at all levels to ensure the necessary skills and competencies are represented at the appropriate levels to drive business results and establish business continuity/success planning (specifically in areas such as talent management, project management, commercial awareness, technical development and people management and leadership skills)
- Drive employee engagement at all levels of the business through frequent touchpoints, transparency in leadership, responsiveness to concerns, and recognition of achievements
- Demand compliance with all company policies and regulatory requirements
- Participate in job walks, kick-off meetings, and other meetings associated with project management
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts/Science in Construction Management or related field
- 5-7 years of general management experience in construction products industry
- 5-7 years ownership or direct responsibility for a cross-functional P&L
- 5-7 years managing cross-functional teams in a fabrication or manufacturing environment
- Master of Business Administration
- 7+ years in a substantially similar leadership role in the construction products industry
- 7+ years proven success in business development and project management
Skills and Characteristics
- Have knowledge of basic business and financial concepts
- Be comfortable with and adept at financial analysis and/or budgeting
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Strong and proven prospecting abilities
- Ability to influence and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to utilize lead sources to develop target accounts
- Ability to assemble a personnel plan to meet job deliverables and team objectives
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and excellent attention to detail
- High level of attention to technical detail
- Ability to focus on electronic / paper project documents for extended periods
- Advanced user in Microsoft Office applications to include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams
- Experience with video conferencing (e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, etc.) and general audio/visual equipment technology to effectively present to clients on-site
- Comfortable with learning and adapting to new technologies
- General knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Accountability & Dependability – Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
- Adaptability & Flexibility – Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
- Customer Focus – Builds and maintains customer satisfaction with the products and services offered by the organization.
- Business Alignment – Aligns the direction, products, services, and performance of a business line with the rest of the organization.
- Change Leadership – Manages, leads, and enables the process of change and transition while helping others deal with the impacts.
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and written language.
- Creative & Innovative Thinking – Develops fresh ideas that provide solutions to all types of workplace challenges.
- Enforcing Laws, Rules, & Regulations – Enforces governmental laws, rules, and regulations, and initiates enforcement actions in a way that the public perceives as fair, objective, and reasonable.
- Ethics & Integrity – Earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Facilitating Groups – Enables cooperative and productive group interactions.
- Influencing Others – Influences others to be excited and committed to furthering the organization’s objectives.
- Listening – Understands and learns from what others say.
- Organizational & Political Savvy – Uses knowledge of the organizational and political climate to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Problem Solving – Resolves difficult or complicated challenges.
- Providing Consultation – Partners with clients to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
- Relationship Building – Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
- Results Focus & Initiative – Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them. Gets the job done.
- Safety Focus – Adheres to all workplace and trade safety laws, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Stress Tolerance – Maintains composure in highly stressful or adverse situations.
- Tact – Diplomatically handles challenging or tense interpersonal situations.
- Ability to travel locally approximately 25% of time
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, squat, climb, and navigate in closed manufacturing space on occasion
- Ability to safely lift and move objects up to twenty-five (25) lbs. over short distances
- Ability and willingness to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate
$150,000 – $175,000 per year + performance bonus