Riverbend Industries (RBI) is a private family-owned portfolio holding company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. The portfolio is primarily comprised of several small, broadly autonomously operated, previously family-owned & run businesses in the light manufacturing and distribution sectors. The portfolio plans to grow both organically and through additional acquisitions into the foreseeable future.
The RBI Home Office is comprised of several senior leaders and members of various functional teams charged with supporting RBI’s operating subsidiaries as inside consultants and subject matter experts. The Home Office serves to provide general leadership and guidance to the local subsidiary leadership teams while ensuring operational, financial, and cultural alignment with portfolio-wide standards and expectations.
The Audit & Accounting Process Improvement Manager serves as a key functional expert providing support to the Corporate Controller & Treasurer, Chief Financial Officer, and the portfolio’s operating business units. The Manager provides a critical assessment and recommendations on internal controls, processes, and technical accounting positions. The assessments will help support operational excellence within the accounting and financial functions while providing necessary enhancements to our control framework that provides the right balance of efficiencies and effectiveness. The position also supports our small to mid-sized operating business subsidiaries by providing financial and accounting expertise and being able to serve as an interim business unit controller in the event of an unforeseen vacancy. This role is a blend of functional guidance and mentoring and on-the-ground operational accounting exposure.
- Lead by example with a Safety First mindset in every task
Internal Audit & Technical Support
- Provide technical guidance for organizational financial policies and procedures, functional directives, and GAAP standards
- Conduct internal audits of our business units including on-site balance sheet reviews, internal control questionnaire review, and other control work (“SOX Lite”)
- Support and guide business unit finance and accounting teams in addressing, resolving, and closing all findings and issues resulting from audits
- Partner with the Corporate Controller to ensure the Home Office balance sheet is well supported and accurate
- Provide operating businesses with cost accounting guidance and inventory control recommendations
- Support the creation of and compliance with financial policies and other best practices
- Assist the Corporate Controller with federal and state financial and tax policies and opportunities
- Recommend procedural enhancements that improves operational controls and/or the reporting environment
Business Unit Finance & Accounting
- In concert with the Corporate Controller & Treasurer, serve as in-house consultant and subject matter expert for operating business unit finance and accounting personnel on financial policies and best practices, data and technology utilization in support of making business decisions, and developing best-in-class strategic plans, budgets, and forecasts
- Support operating business unit presidents and finance leaders in the annual review and updating of their five-year strategic plans to include: supporting the creation of financial models and reviewing profit & loss statements, cash flow statements, and balance sheet for assumption flow-through and logical reconciliation
- Serve as an interim finance and accounting leader at a small and mid-sized operating business within the portfolio in the event of an extended absence or unplanned vacancy
- Support the Manager of Financial Planning, Analysis, and Business Systems in the selection, configuration, implementation, and deployment of assorted financial data analysis and reporting tools including the creation and utilization of various reports to support the making of business decisions
- Support the Corporate Controller & Treasurer in finding and driving opportunities in tax management, risk management/insurance, and other areas for cost savings or efficiencies
- Assume ownership of new responsibilities which may manifest to include transfer pricing, foreign entity creation, other new areas of complexity with organic or inorganic growth
Education, Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor in Accounting, Finance, or a substantially similar field
- At least 4 years in progressively more advanced accounting roles
- At least 3 year managing, auditing, and reporting the financials of a complex business
- Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Finance
- Current or recent holder of Certified Public Accountant Credential
- 4 – 7 years in progressively more advanced accounting roles
- 5+ years serving in a top-tier audit firm or the audit function of a diverse, multi-divisional/multi-P&L organization
Skills & Characteristics
- Strong analytical and business skills on determining value
- Advanced user in Microsoft Office applications to include Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneDrive, Sharepoint, and Teams
- Strong abilities using XLOOKUP, pivot tables, and other spreadsheet functionality to manipulate, analyze, and take action on financial data
- Proficient user in tools such as Microsoft Power BI, assorted data warehouse solutions, and other finance technology solutions with ability to grow technical competencies
- Be happy in an environment where you will be at one moment doing tactical duties and the next moment setting strategy that will be followed by the entire organization
- Be able to take a highly ambiguous problem, dissect it, understand it, and generate solutions
- Be able to work with businesses in an organization where operating businesses have historically run significant autonomy
- Be motivated by individual and company success
- Be able to lead, influence, and persuade without being a direct manager
- Self-starting – able to set schedules and keep deadlines without daily oversight
- Able to work and collaborate in a small corporate office with high energy and engagement
- Attention to Detail – Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Accountability & Dependability – Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
- Adaptability & Flexibility – Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
- Analysis/Reasoning – Examines data to grasp issues, draw conclusions, and solve problems.
- Fiscal Accountability – Follows fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
- Gaining Voluntary Compliance – Convinces others to follow recommendations and advice to bring them into compliance with regulations, standards, or policies
- Influencing Others – Influences others to be excited and committed to furthering the organization’s objectives.
- Mathematical Reasoning – Uses mathematical techniques to calculate data or solve practical problems.
- Managing Projects or Programs – Structures and directs others’ work on projects or programs.
- Providing Consultation – Partners with clients to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
- Results Focus & Initiative – Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them. Gets the job done.
- Problem Solving – Resolves difficult or complicated challenges.
- Relationship Building – Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
- Researching Information – Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision-making.
- Self-Management – Manages own time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Stress Tolerance – Maintains composure in highly stressful or adverse situations.
- Ability to travel domestically up to 40% of time
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods in an office environment
- Ability to safely lift and move objects up to twenty-five (25) lbs. over short distances
$100,000 – $140,000 annual plus perf. incentives